Protein molecules are polymers of amino acids bonded together by peptide bonds

Protein molecules are polymers of amino acids bonded together by peptide bonds. (Biology Online, 2018) Proteases are enzymes which catalyse the breakdown these peptide bonds, breaking down the proteins. The idea of this experiment is to view the effects of different enzymes on the milk proteins. The composition of milk includes: water, fats, protein, lactose, and minerals. (Dairy Processing Handbook, 2018) As seen in the diagram to the right 87.5% of milk is water and only 3.4% is actually protein. (Dairy Processing Handbook, 2018) Although there is a very small amount of protein in milk, it gives off a white colour because just over 80% of the protein is casein, which always gives off a white colour, especially when combined with fats. (Mauk, 2013) In addition to the casein, the other 20% is whey protein which takes up the rest of the 3.4g per 100 grams.